Sunday, February 24, 2008

Getting Ready for my Players

So my gaming group is meeting today after a hastily scheduled sessions, two of the players may be leaving, some for good reasons, others for not so good reasons. So I'm trying to whip together a session of awesomeness, with role playing and tricky combat, that ends with treasure and hot supernatural babes of loose morals. You know every geek's dream.

The way I plan out my campaigns I choose a long overarching plot that leads towards a very specific climatic ending. But then I just kind of wing it along the way, jotting down signposts of note as I think of them. This campaign they are playing evil members of the Karnath army during the last war. I've dubbed it my "evil nazi vampire campaign". It's been pretty fun to think up ways that they can be super villains, last adventure they killed D&D versions of the Invaders, they've encounter an Eberron version of Hellboy, and got to spit in the elven god's eye. So while this means I can usually plunk down an adventure pretty damn quick, I can't bring this thing to an end any time soon. There's lots more that has to happen in the narrative.

So the fate of our group may be shaky after today. Will we continue on with new members, leaving only three of the six original members? Or will we start over. I really want to bring these narratives to a close. My campaigns tend to be run like television show that get canceled before the big secret is revealed. In some ways that's good, they are always remembered fondly. But I yearn for closure on the ideas and sharing the way that I think it's going to come out.

No comments: